Thursday, July 28, 2016

Rio will not be a safe place to be for the Olympics

The date was decided years ago. It is just a coincidence that the Olympics are being held in Rio this fall. It's spring in the southern hemisphere and the weather can be quite warm and beautiful. Opening Ceremonies begin next week and the games will take up most of August.

I have written about my concerns for the safety of the spectators and athletes. Unfortunately, those concerns seem to be proving true. I've been fortunate to get to know some members of the World Champion National Women's Soccer Team and many of them are worried about possible health problems from Zika to giardia in the water supply. We had long discussions and there are options but no fool-proof solutions.

Again, I've been asked to lend my expertise to the potential crisis problems along with sponsorship and international news media relations. My previous trips to Rio are what make me hesitate to be on the scene. Jane certainly doesn't want any part of it from previous experience. I, on the other hand, much prefer to be there in person. That's the dilemma and I've put it off until the last minute..


Even with an estimated  80,000 security personnel on hand, it is still going to be difficult to control the situation. I think the venues will be the safest place to be (discounting the pickpockets who you  can't avoid) because that is where security will have to be concentrated. It's the city surrounding the venues that  worries me most. Even moving from a hotel to a venue opens the door for problems.

To add to all the known difficulties,the world was a different place when Rio won the bid. Terrorism is rampant now and very unpredictable. Statistics show that almost 250 adults and children have been killed in terror attacks in the past two weeks. No country is immune. Attacks in 8 cities in 6 countries make that quite clear.

Things are going to be tough in Rio. Infrastructure is not ready. Health concerns will not go away. Crime will increase. Security is not fully prepared. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about this. If everything goes well, I'll take the heat for crying "Wolf".

That said, I think we'll be faced with a crisis a day...some easy to handle but others of major consequence. I've been dealing with crises since I started by professional career. And I can attest to the fact that a crisis a day takes it out of you. I like going home at night, even to take the 2am calls. I like decompressing with Jane and sleeping in my own bed.

Working remotely gives me live streaming access to every venue and Skype makes our daily briefings tolerable. I would still  prefer to be in the fire but I will not be going to Rio. I want to be fresh to face what will be coming at us. I feel a special connection  to the US Women's Soccer Team and I want them all to be safe, The athletes and competition are definitely where my commitment is. The politics, partnerships and business relationships do not concern me (although getting caught up in them sometimes is impossible to avoid.)

If you go to  Rio, be careful and take care. Unless you've got an athlete in the Games, that big screen is going to be the best and safest way to see the Rio Olympics. I'll give you the inside information that I can share as things progress and hope for the best. Here's to the athletes.


1 comment:

  1. Dan miss you and Jane! Life in Naples Florida (Gulf side) is magical. No potholes, militant bikers, grey skies. But also no majestic mountains as the highest point in Florida is literally 400 feet above sea level. Which means the entire state could be underwater if icebergs continue to melt.
    Please give Jane a monstrous hug and kiss.
    Be well. My wish is that you two are showered with blessings, health, and happiness.
    Fondest Regards

    Charlie Staadecker

    ReplyDelete