Friday, February 20, 2009

A tribute to Sir Edmund Hillary


Not many people get to meet their heroes. And even fewer get to really connect with them. Since the early 1990s, I have had an ongoing relationship with Sir Edmund Hillary and his wife, June. When the news alert of his death hit my computer screen yesterday afternoon, it sent my thoughts flying. Here is some of what came to mind.

Sir Edmund Hillary Tribute Note

There are few real heroes...and most are indeed ordinary people who do extraordinary things. Sir Edmund Hillary was one of those who dignified the term "hero." His passing leaves this earth a more lonely and troubled place. His focus, drive, intellect and humble view of man's achievements were something to marvel in this life.

He had long been my hero when I was fortunate to host him on a visit to Seattle in 1992. When we met, a gaggle of "Sir Edmund"s came out of my mouth. He very quickly and casually said, "Please, just call me Ed."
I worked with him over the ensuing years on a number of projects. He hosted me in his home several times. Tea in his sitting room was so comfortable you could put your feet up and truly enjoy the conversation and the moment. Absolutely no pretense.

I asked him to fire the starting cannon at a round-the-world sailing race that had stopped in Auckland in 1999. When I went to the appointed place to pick him up, he had come with his wife June in their dated car and sat on the corner stoop watching the traffic until I arrived. We then went to the New Zealand Navy ship where he fired the cannon. As we walked across the deck, everyone, sailors and VIPs alike, recognized him as if he were an old friend...no bowing and scraping. He engaged in conversations about the news of the day and what was going on around the town. How refreshing.

Just a few months ago, I asked him to be part of an advisory board for an upcoming Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Expedition. His response was that he appreciated the opportunity but he was unable to travel and now that he was 88, it was time for him to stop. As might be expected, he went on to say that "The project sounds so very worthwhile that we (he and June) both hope it is most successful and that the climbers have a great time in the process."

When I helped him with the promotion of his foundation and the 50th Anniversary of his Everest climb, Sir Edmund spoke very strongly about giving the mountain a rest...too much activity, too many people and too much waste. I'm trying to look at his death as a welcome peaceful rest for one of the world's most remarkable people. If we could all look at life the way he did, this world would be a more sane, rational and compassionate place.

I will miss you, Ed, very much.

Posted by Dan McConnell on January 14, 2008 8:23 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment