Friday, February 20, 2009

A journey of 7000 years in just 25


"We left Narita (Tokyo) at 4:30 pm on CAAC, the Chinese national airline. The plane was a 707 but a very old one. Seats were broken and and the carpeting was threadbare...We arrived in Beijing at 7:30 (we gained a one-hour time change). It was still light out and the airport was huge. We were the only arrival. No other airplanes in sight...Lots of forms to fill out. All our luggage made it . Very thorough check including many questions about electronic equipment. By 9:00 pm, we loaded on the bus for downtown Beijing. It took about an hour to reach the hotel. As we travelled, there were crowds of people along the sides of the road, camping, working, sleeping, chatting, eating. It was very busy. They scurried like rats when we passed by. There was virtually no other motorized traffic...only bicycles...and us. Our hotel was a three-story concrete box. No frills, to say the least...dinner was scrambled eggs and noodle soup with beer and orange soda to drink. We headed for bed right away. It was very hot and a little smoggy but our room had a window air conditioner that worked intermittently. Tomorrow, we'll do some touring...the Great Wall, I think."

Beijing, China, August 8, 1984

This short excerpt from my travel journal in 1984 is an amazing coincidence as I start out for Beijing on 8.8.08. I know it will be a different experience this time. For one thing, my wife Jane will be with me, instead of a bunch of mountain climbers headed for Chomolungma, "Mother Goddess of the Earth", or, as some call it, Mt. Everest.

My trip to Beijing during these historic Olympic Games has been a long and interesting journey. Over the past 25 years, China has been a constant companion in my business travels. I am fascinated with the culture and the people and have come to understand how the roots of a civilization that is thousands of years old have grown in so many different directions.

This trip has happened because a long-time friend who is a native of Shanghai has constantly put me in front of the Chinese business and political communities over the years. We have made many interesting inroads together and now I find myself advising those sitting across the table, as well as the clients next to me.
I'm not here to see the Games. I may be fortunate to take in some competition. But mostly I'm here to try to explain the mindset of the Western news media to their hosts and to answer the "why" questions that the visitors may have. I'm like a doctor on call. I don't know for certain how or when I'll be called upon but I have a schedule for checking in and I'll follow it.

With more than 3000 hours of television coverage from NBC and its partners, you won't need me to tell you what's happening on the playing field. You will be able to witness the Games and the backstories in an unprecedented way, even live. But you might be interested in hearing about the old man with a black bag and a milkcase stool fixing people's teeth on the sidewalk next to the Forbidden City...or the pack of young kids diving fully clothed into the lake at the Summer Palace in a swimming competition of their own making.

For the next 10 days or so, I will comment, when I can, about what's going on here. This is sure to be one of the most talked about events for years to come. And I'll be there in the thick of it...with the estimated 7 million other visitors. My hope is that it is fair, competitive, exciting and above all safe. If the opening ceremonies are any indication, it's going to be a "doozie"!

Until the next time,
Dan Mc

Posted by Dan McConnell on August 8, 2008 11:23 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment