Monday, March 7, 2016

A life together

Any married couple should have the kind of relationship that Ronald and Nancy Reagan had.  Pure love, devotion, trust and complete commitment. You could see it in their faces. They were inseparable, even when they were apart. He called her morning, noon and night...no matter where he was in the world, they talked to one another. They sought approval and found solace in every situation they encountered. Her passing is a landmark for the 21st Century.

I did not vote for Ronald Reagan in his first term but in his second, the choice between him and Walter Mondale was not a hard one. Nancy campaigned hard in both his bids and I'm sure played a key role in his wins.

Twice I met him. Once when he was president and I was fortunate to be acting as the western West Wing of the White House on his way to China, thanks to long time friend and mentor William Ruckelshaus. But the first time I was introduced was when he was governor of California. That encounter was special. It was on the field of the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.

My Alma Mater Indiana University has only been to the Rose Bowl one time in its history and I was working for the athletic department at the time.while in graduate school. I was asked to be an on-the-field spotter for the NBC Sports crew covering the event.

Before the game while we were setting up, Governor Reagan walked around the stadium and came by the TV crew to say hello. I don';t know if he colored his hair (which was a topic of conversation in those days) but I was struck by the fact that it looked orange not red then...must have been the sun.

When I was introduced to him,.his response to meeting me was something I cannot forget. "Dan (It was said he was good with names), I would like for you to meet my wife Nancy. She's not much of a football fan but she's learning" Turning the conversation over to her made us all more comfortable and we had a great talk. Nancy asked me where home was and I said Washington, DC.  Her comeback was "Maybe we'll see you there someday." I still think she already had her eyes on the prize. What a gracious person she was.

Spending your life with another person is truly an adventure.  It's listening and learning and giving and getting. When you grow up together there is no stronger bond. I like to think that Jane and I have found that and I wish it for all of us.

Ron and Nancy had that connection. Her passing will bring them back together someplace somewhere. Their love will go on. RIP.



2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this entry, Dan. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this entry, Dan. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete