Friday, June 19, 2015

Sad time for Charleston



Charleston, South Carolina, is a very special place for me and Jane. Over the past 20 years, we've worked there, lived there, celebrated there, grieved there and done a lot of growing up there. We've made life-long friends there.

Mayor Joe Riley was a working partner. From the first time I met him, I knew that Charleston was in good hands. He's a good public servant and a good man. But now,my heart is aching for Charleston and every one of its residents. I've seen them stand-up to everything from hurricanes to confederate flags and they'll stand-up to this senseless, angry, horrific act of violence...but it still hurts.

I've sat on the steps of Mother Emmanuel Church on a hot summer evening watching the locals chatter away as they'd come and go. They'll do that again...but not with quite the same safe feeling...that will take a while.

Many of the roots of our country, black and white, were seeded in Charleston. We're a strong people. We'll weather this storm. We'll get better...but not without more heartache and tears. Jane and I miss our friends in Charleston more than ever. Just so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment