Thursday, May 29, 2014

Inspiration

Having an international airport 50 miles from your place of work allows for good “think-“ or “talk-time” when you’re making the trip.  I picked up Maya Angelou mid-morning and we were due back for a lunch by noon. What a warm, gracious and soft spoken lady she was. She didn’t know me at all but immediately after we connected, we were talking like old friends. When people of her stature are as interested in you as they are in themselves, it’s a pleasant and special encounter.

I found out early on that when you are open and vocal about your concerns with the way a non-profit organization is being run, it’s not too long before you’re more involved.  The Distinguished Visitor Series was an incredible opportunity to bring luminaries to a small mid-western town with a big reputation, like Columbus, Indiana. After attending a couple of the evenings in the Series, I wrote a long letter about how I thought the experience could be improved. Before I knew it, I was president of DVS and regularly making the trip to the airport to spend a day or two with amazing people like Maya Angelou.

She had a luncheon with local VIP’s, stops at two schools to speak with students, dinner with business executives and then a presentation to the public in the evening.  The transitions were flawless. She seemed to be able to speak everyone’s language. Her understanding of the business world and politics was uncanny and when meeting with students, they were rapt with her words and the poems she chose to share.

It was at one of the schools that she gave me that pearl of advice that I have carried with me since that time.  We were talking about speaking to the children and how she felt that we don’t give them enough credit for how much they understand. That conversation turned to writing and she said, “I never use big words. They confuse us all. If a third-grader understands what we write then our point is much better made.” It’s hard to disagree with that.

In her evening presentation, she read extensively from “I know why the caged bird sings”, which was the first of several autobiographies that she wrote during her life.  In summing up that night, she said, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said; people will forget what you did; but they will never forget how you made them feel.” I wrote that in the reporter’s notebook that I always carry and have never forgotten it.

The drive back to the airport the next morning was fun. We covered a lot of subjects. When I asked her if she watched much television, she said, “I do watch re-runs of “Star Trek”. Nichelle Nichols, who played Lt. Uhura, is a good friend.  Watching her makes me feel comfortable and happy.” We parted as friends with a handful of experiences in common.


I recently added an evening with our latest inaugural poet Richard Blanco, at the Seattle Public Library, to those personally inspiring moments in my life. But Maya Angelou, also an inaugural poet, was my first, and that, for me, is a cherished memory that will always hold a special spot in my heart. She was an incredible person and a devout American. Her passing leaves a void but her words will be with us forever. Such a legacy in this world is unrivaled. Rest in peace, Maya.

No comments:

Post a Comment