Monday, August 27, 2012

New treasure in the basement museum


My often-maligned basement (Jane is constantly telling me to “clean that mess up”) now yields another treasure.  I found my bottle of Wapakoneta Moon Sauce, personally presented by the late astronaut Neil Armstrong. I’ve never tasted it and only have the one bottle from a six-pack Mr. Armstrong had with him on a trip to Indiana University.

He was a humble man like my friend Sir Edmund Hillary.  Mr. Armstrong’s achievement of being the first man on the moon even surpasses Sir Edmund’s climb of Mt. Everest in notoriety. But both were extraordinary heroes.

Several years after the Apollo 11 success, Mr. Armstrong was scheduled for a lecture at my alma mater, Indiana University. I was a recent grad and into my corporate stint with Cummins Engine Company.  Because I had worked for the I.U. Foundation, sponsor of the lecture, during college, I was asked to pick up Mr. Armstrong at the airport and bring him to the campus in Bloomington. That was a real honor for me.


We had about 45 unencumbered minutes to chat and the subjects covered the waterfront. Most of all, it was clear that he was a champion of higher education and he said, in more than one way, that he felt our country’s success in the space race could be attributed to the focus of our institutions of higher learning. I certainly hope that was true.

He was carrying with him a large leather brief case. In the course of our conversation, he pulled out a bottle of Wapakoneta Moon Sauce. It was a novelty cream soda made by the Pepsi Bottler in his hometown of Wapakoneta, Ohio, southwest of Toledo.  He said it gave him a great laugh and he enjoyed taking the edge off austere occasions by presenting bottles of it to dignitaries.  He planned to present a bottle to Herman B. Wells, the Chancellor of IU at the time.

Most importantly, he asked me if I wanted a bottle and, of course, I declined…NOT.  How cool was that.  The bottle has been on bookshelves in my offices and at home in my basement archive ever since.

Last weekend, we lost another true hero. It’s sad to see their numbers dwindling.  The definition of “hero” seems to be changing today. I’m not sure when the next one will come along but, until then, I will cherish my bottle of Wapakoneta Moon Sauce and the inspiration behind it.  You’ll never see my bottle on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment